Ah, New Year resolutions. I honestly struggle with thinking of goals when the New Year arrives, mostly because I tend to not take them seriously enough. Take last year for example; my goal was to focus on my writing and finish editing my story, and I ended up editing three chapters and reading 66 books… Good work, Danielle.
For 2017, I’m going to try and finish my 2016 goals, as well as hopefully accomplish new ones that I want to set for this year. So, I have a few resolutions for 2017 and hopefully this time I can stick to them!
- My first and main goal for 2017 is to actually focus on my writing. I really want to get my second draft finished this year, and I’m hoping to actually stick to it this time. I think my problem in 2016 was that I kept procrastinating it. Whenever I should have been working on my story, I would watch Netflix, read a book, or waste time on social media instead. This year I am going to try a lot harder to work on my story because I know once I have finished editing I will feel so relieved and happy.
- My second goal is to read 20 books. Honestly, I will probably end up reading more than 20 but I didn’t want to pressure myself into trying to read 50+ books, especially when I want to be working on my story instead. There are a few books that I really want to try and read this year, as well as some amazing 2017 releases that I can’t wait to get my hands on.
- The next goal I want to try and achieve is the Project 5 challenge, which is basically where you read 5 books before you buy 1. I found that the last few months of 2016 I wasn’t really buying many books and was reading a lot more as well as just receiving review copies or gifts, etc. I think I managed to cut down my TBR a little, which I’m happy about, but I’m hoping I can cut it down more this year. Of course, with reading not being my main focus of 2017 I am hoping that means I won’t be buying many books, either (but I have some book vouchers from Christmas and my birthday that I still need to spend so I’m telling myself they don’t count).
- Next, I want to try and read more diversely. I think this is a common goal for a lot of people within the book community for 2017, and I think that’s great. Diversity in books is super important, as is supporting diverse authors. Most of my anticipated releases for this year are diverse books and I cannot wait to read them and learn from them (blog post coming soon).
- My last goal/resolution for 2017 is to try and post twice a week on my blog. I tried to stick to this last year but failed miserably, with some weeks not posting anything. Of course, I can’t help if life gets busy and blogging isn’t my first priority, but I’m hoping to be one of those organised bloggers who have posts scheduled weeks in advance. That way if I get super busy or go on holidays I will still have posts going up on my blog and it’ll still be active.
That’s all my resolutions for 2017! I really hope I can get them completed and stick to them (at least some of them) throughout the year.
What are some of your resolutions for 2017?
Until next time,