Well, hello there. Yes, I know it’s been a little while since I last posted; I suck, okay? But seriously, I was away for a week and then when I got back I was hella sick and then my wisdom teeth were giving me hell and long story short I have to get them all out at the end of August #ilovemylife.
But anyway, this isn’t a life update post. Time to get all my unpopular opinions ready for this tag! No, I wasn’t tagged but I’d seen it floating around and figured ‘why not?’. I also want to quickly address that since this is a tag full of unpopular/negative opinions, I don’t mean to offend anyone or anything, and I am sorry if I talk about a book or character you love, but *shrugs shoulders*.
So, let’s get started!
1. NOPE. Ending: A book ending that made you go NOPE either in denial, rage or simply because the ending was crappy.
For this one, I have to go with Requiem, the last book in the Delirium trilogy by Lauren Oliver. I think I’ve mentioned my dislike for this book a few times, but oh my god did that ending annoy the absolute crap out of me. I legitimately thought my copy was missing 100 pages, that’s how bad it was.
2. NOPE. Protagonist: A main character you dislike and drives you crazy.
This one was unbelievably easy. Snow from Stealing Snow by Danielle Paige. Holy hell, was she annoying. Like, honestly one of the most annoying characters I have ever read. You all already know how much I disliked this book, so I feel like I don’t need to say anything else even though I could very easily write a damn novel on how much I disliked it.
3. NOPE. Series: A series that turned out to be one huge pile of NOPE. after you’ve invested all of that time and energy on it, or a series you gave up on because it wasn’t worth it anymore.
For this, I have to go with The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater. I was thoroughly disappointed by the ending and found the whole series pretty boring, anticlimactic, and overhyped. (sorry not sorry)
4. NOPE. Popular pairing: A “ship” you don’t support.
(Spoilers for the Grisha trilogy) The only ship I can think of that’s actually canon would be Mal and Alina from the Grisha trilogy. I wanted her to end up with someone else and I just found Mal rather boring.
5. NOPE. Plot twist: A plot twist you didn’t see coming or didn’t like.
Without spoiling anything, the plot twist in Lord of Shadows killed me. That is all.
6. NOPE. Protagonist action/decision: A character decision that made you shake your head NOPE.
Instead of using Snow again (because she is seriously so stupid in that book I swear), I’ll go with Tatiana from The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons. Another book you all know I dislike immensely. Tatiana is one of the dumbest characters ever. I feel like every decision she made were just UGH.
7. NOPE. Genre: A genre you will never read.
There are no genres out there that I will never read. Like, I want to try all genre’s eventually, but if I have to pick a genre that I’m not really interested in at the moment it would have to be historical fiction.
8. NOPE. Book format: Book formatting you hate and avoid buying until it comes out in a different edition.
I never really refuse to buy a book because of its formatting unless it’s part of a series then I’ll want it to match the others. But apart from that, I will buy a book no matter what format (though I rarely buy eBooks but that’s just personal preference.)
9. NOPE. Trope: A trope that makes you go NOPE.
I think the trope that annoys me the most has to be the damsel in distress/girl needs a man to save her. Girls are perfectly capable of saving themselves, thank you very much.
10. NOPE. Recommendation: A book recommendation that is constantly hyped and pushed at you that you simply refuse to read.
Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas. I just have no desire whatsoever to read this series but I always see it recommended and hyped everywhere.
11. NOPE. Cliche/pet peeve: A cliche or writing pet peeve that always makes you roll your eyes.
I let out a breath I didn’t realise I was holding.
Need I say more?
12. NOPE. Love interest: The love interest that’s not worthy of being one. A character you don’t think should have been a viable love interest.
Alexander from The Bronze Horseman. THEIR RELATIONSHIP IS NOT HEALTHY, OKAY?! HE IS MANIPULATIVE AND POSSESSIVE AND NO JUST NO.
13. NOPE. Book: A book that shouldn’t have existed that made you say NOPE.
… Do I even really need to answer this question… *cough* Stealing Snow *cough* The Bronze Horseman *cough*
14. NOPE. Villain: A scary villain/antagonist you would hate to cross and would make you run in the opposite direction.
Adelina from The Young Elites. No, she’s not really the villain but there’s no way I’d wanna get on her bad side!
15. NOPE. Death: A character death that still haunts you.
(Spoilers for The Infernal Devices) I don’t think I’ll ever get over Will’s death. I know he lived a good life but HE IS MY PRECIOUS OKAY I WANT HIM TO LIVE FOREVER.
16. NOPE. Author: An author you had a bad experience reading for and have decided to quit.
For this, I’ll have to choose Sarah J. Maas. It’s not even because I had an overly bad reading experience, I’ve just really lost interest in all her books and don’t see any desire to ever read (or continue reading) them.
That’s all for this tag! Please don’t hate me if I hated on any of your faves (everyone has different opinions okay you can’t expect everyone to love what you love it just doesn’t work that way). I also tag Bec, Casey, Emily, and Angel to do this!
Until next time,